Monday, April 06, 2009

Prompt #6 I Don't Miss My Virginity

For today's poem, I want you to write a poem about something missing. It can be about an actual physical object or something you just can't put your finger on (like "love" or "the spirit of Christmas" or something).

I Don't Miss My Virginity

At least, I never missed it until it was gone. People say that all the time about things that go, but how can you loose something and gain something at the exact same time? I never even knew what it was worth, if it was marketable. It was a thing I’d heard about from a girl on a swing. She said it wasn’t any big deal. The boys made her seem like she’d really been somewhere, but she reminded me of a road-tested car that they’d thought about buying and then changed their minds. She didn’t even care about the boys and their come-ons. She said it would happen to me too and it wouldn’t change anything, it wouldn’t feel bad or good. I didn’t think anything like that would happen to me, not because I was smart or good, but because I never attracted that kind of attention. I wasn’t girly; I didn’t even carry a purse or wear makeup. I didn’t see why the boys made such a fuss about it. I got birth control before anything happened because I was too smart to end up pregnant, that’s for sure, and then a boy I liked finally showed me exactly what it was he wanted our bodies to do, and I was drunk enough to let him, and then it was gone.

0 comments: