Saturday, April 04, 2009

Prompt #4 Pollywog

For today’s prompt, I want you to pick an animal; make that animal the title of your poem; then, write a poem. You could be very general with your animal title (“Bees” or “Lion”) or specific (“Flipper” or “Lassie”). You could even be very silly with something like “Tony, the Tiger,” I guess (that tiger on the cereal box).

Pollywog

I am the in-between, a soft link in a soft
chain. My large head protrudes like sperm
but most of me is fin and possibility.
I revel in the chance to come to life
out of a bed of mud, out of sky

because I am from air and water,
a mineral, like this planet circling
the universe. Touch my colors,
light and poison run through me.
But be warned, you of the less-soft

uprights! My fate is written
in the sands, though I come apart
in stride and can regrow my limbs,
I can not put back the glisten
that is leaching from this earth.

#353 at 6:56:04

0 comments: