Sunday, April 05, 2009

Prompt #5 The Cliffs of Briarcliff Manor

For today's prompt, I want you to write a poem about a landmark. It can be a famous landmark (like Mount Rushmore or the Sphinx) or a little more subdued (like the town water tower or an interesting sign).

The Cliffs of Briarcliff Manor

The Cliffs of Briarcliff Manor don’t like
fancy talk because they are down home. They are
Indian brothers. They are a place to get away
from fancy talk. They are quiet during the day
and dark at night and they don’t think
about the passage of time because they were here
before everything. They were here when
the roads came in and didn’t change.
They were here when the houses were built
and didn’t change. And when the new highway
was built right under their feet they didn’t care
and kept on looking out at the traffic lights,
saying nothing. Every time I pass by them
on my way home they see me and don’t care
one bit where I’ve been. And when I go away
they see me leaving and never ask me where
I’m going. I love the Cliffs in my home town
because they never change. They are still there today,
and even though the earth is swallowing them
and the sides are sliding in on themselves
they are still the same, holding on like a bald man
to a windblown hat, refusing to let it go.

~~~~~
1:04:01 #567
I'd love to add a good picture of the Cliffs, but I havent' found one yet.

0 comments: