Saturday, April 25, 2009

Prompt #25 Planning to Attend My High School Reunion

Only 5 more days left to go! For today's prompt I want you to pick an event and make that event the title of your poem. Here is my attempt for the day (which will give you a pretty good idea about what I have planned for the day):

Planning to Attend My High School Reunion

I stand, contemplating a life not quite done.
Though my platform is strong, the legs
are weak. I pose slightly askew,

patched and scared in places where I waged
battles with my family’s demons. I won,
the proof is that I stand at all.

Above the base I’m built from remnants;
a degree in collage, two marriages, an attempt
to start a family. The spikes are unexpected

falls, jobs lost, faith in myself too.
The long beams are what held
me together under pressure.

These were supplied by the heart’s need
to find release. I’m crowned with a garland
because love strings me from above.

4/30/2009 10:55:16 AM #714

0 comments: