Monday, April 27, 2009

Prompt # 26 One Day at the Breast Health Clinic

For today's prompt, I want you to write a poem involving miscommunication. It can be miscommunication between two people or misinterpretation of some sort. I will leave it up to you guys to deal with it however you want.

One Day at the Breast Health Clinic

At the front desk the nurses seemed alarmed
about some patient. I tried not to notice,
HIPAA laws being the bane of conversations
in the medical profession these days.
So I ignored their shaking heads until I heard
in the waiting room outside the voice of a man
say, "Oh yes, I’m back, is it alright then, no problem?"
No problem! I think there is a problem! Like,
why do you need a mammogram, Dude!
So I’m lead to the little undressing rooms they devised
where us ladies go to don our capes, breasts afloat
in folds fabric with airy ventilation at the sides.
But I’m not too keen on exiting.
I don’t want to see a man in this predicament.
I look around the corridors before I leap,
but he’s not in the special sitting room, or down
the hall. I sit alone, contemplate the facts, decide
I’m open minded, tolerant, I’ve never had a solid
notion of normality; it’s fine if he’s a she,
or she’s a he, I’m fine with any sort of body
he might be. So when a tall and lanky lady
saunters in, I see her smile is kind, and her eyes
are deep and friendly. She’s old enough
to be my aunt and very fit. I reply a smile
and we pass the time in silence. Then she’s called
away by name, and as the nurse leads her away
I hear his voice again! Was he her?
I’ll never know. I had to leave soon after,
my tests all done, and all results come out
just fine. Hey, thanks for asking!

4/30/2009 1:31:16 AM #670

0 comments: